Archive for November, 2010
9th Green Festival San Francisco, Nov. 6 – 7 at SF Concourse Exhibition Center via SF Recycling Examiner Cindi Rose
The nation’s largest green consumer living event returns to San Francisco November 6-7 with new options to engage locally for free admission
SAN FRANCISCO — Green Festival®, the nation’s largest sustainability event, returns to the San Francisco Concourse November 6-7. This year’s Green Festival theme is ‘Engagement,’ with exciting new ways to shop green, be inspired, get engaged and give back. Green Festival’s mission is to inspire and inform as many people as possible to help make our world more just and sustainable. New admission options allow people to invest in their local community while receiving immediate dividends from Green Festival. “Pay It Forward and Get it Back at Green Festival” invites community members to volunteer with or donate to local nonprofit organizations to receive complimentary admission to Green Festival. Also new this year, when an individual purchases any ticket to Green Festival, they receive “GF Bucks,” which can be used as currency at Green Festival in the green marketplace.
Green Festival allied with local nonprofit organizations for the “Pay it Forward, Get it Back at Green Festival” campaign, including: Mission Graduates, Alliance for Climate Education, Oakland Local, Bay Localize, Communities for a Better Environment, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Green For All, La Onda Verde, California Food and Justice Coalition, Greenlining Institute, Innercity Advisors and Latinos A Morir. Community members who engage with these organizations through donations or volunteerism receive free Green Festival Tickets.
There are also many other ways to get in free to Green Festival, including:
- Bring a receipt from Rainbow Grocery dated Nov 1 – 7, 2010 with a minimum purchase of $10 and your receipt is your ticket
- Bring 5 nonperishable canned food items to Green Festival for the San Francisco Food Bank, thanks to KPIX
- Bring an old unused cell phone and/or cell phone accessories to Green Festival for recycling with T-Mobile
- Visit San Francisco area Nissan dealerships and test drive for free tickets
- As always, Green Festival is free for Green America and Global Exchange members, Festival volunteers and youth under 18
Discount admission is also available for public transit riders, seniors, students with ID and bicyclists (with use of bike valet).
For those who purchase tickets, $15 per day or $25 per weekend, Green Festival will give back a portion of their ticket price in “GF Bucks” to use with more than 300 green exhibitors in Green Festival’s marketplace.
More information can be found at http://www.greenfestivals.org/sf/admission.
Green Festival attendees enjoy informative, insightful speakers, incomparable green shopping, cutting edge eco-innovations, great live music, fun and educational family activities, hands-on workshops, organic wine and beer and delicious, local vegetarian cuisine. Ten stages and pavilions give attendees the opportunity to engage with 125 local experts and nationally-renowned authors, actors, leaders, educators, farmers and visionaries. Exciting keynote speakers include Bill McKibben, Amy Goodman, Thom Hartmann, John Perkins, Dolores Huerta, Gil Friend, Karen Stewart, Howard Brown, Kirk Boyd, Starhawk, Penny Livingston, Ibrahim Abdul-Matin, Ari Derfel, Daniel Pinchbeck and many more.
San Francisco Green Festival highlights include:
- Green Business Seminars at the Green Business Pavilion — the latest on financing for growth, marketing and new media, public policy and green trends, ethical sourcing and partnering for success.
- Green Lifestyle — practical tips for everyday life and innovations ranging from green products to green building and organic foods.
- Mother Earth News Fair Stage – workshops and ‘DIY’ presentations from the best loved topics of their magazine and fair, including urban chicken raising, cheese making at home, seed swap exchange and growing and using herbs.
- Fair Trade Pavilion — how fair-trading your home, workplace and community with coffee, home furnishings, chocolate, rice and textiles can make a world of difference.
- Better World Pavilion — critical issues and solutions in communities to effectively implement and support sustainable networks.
- Vegetarian Food Court — organic cuisine from local restaurants, organic beer and wine garden and fair trade organic coffee bar.
- Green Home and Energy Pavilion – demonstrations of practical skills for personal and household sustainability from solar energy to composting and green home improvements.
- Music – live music and spoken word.
- Yoga and Movement Sessions – opportunities to relax and focus body as well as the mind.
- Eco Fashion Show — showcase of eco-conscious fashion designers, make-up artists and hairstylists. (Presented by EFFACA.)
- Annie’s Green Kids’ Zone — activities and storytelling for the whole family.
A project of Green America and Global Exchange, two leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to environmental and social justice for more than twenty-six years, Green Festival serves as a foundation to explore and build sustainable solutions to benefit communities and the environment, discover new environmentally-friendly products and practices and connect with likeminded individuals from all over the nation.
Green Festival demonstrates an unmatched commitment to reducing environmental impact by reusing, recycling or composting 97 percent or more of festival waste through the efforts of full-service green event management company Seven-Star Events.
Special thanks to: Made, Earthbound Farms, Park Merced, Nissan LEAF and KPFA.
To purchase tickets to Green Festival or for more information about new ways to get free tickets or shopping money, visit http://greenfestivals.org.
About Green America
Green America is a national nonprofit organization founded in 1982, providing the economic strategies, organizing power and practicing tools for businesses and individuals to address today’s social and environmental problems. Its Green Business Network is the largest national network of businesses screened for their social and environmental responsibility. www.greenamericatoday.org
About Global Exchange
Global Exchange is a membership-based international human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world. Since its founding in 1988, Global Exchange has successfully increased public awareness of root causes of injustice while building international partnerships and mobilizing for change. www.globalexchange.org
About Seven-Star, Inc.
Seven-Star, Inc. is the nation’s premier green full-service event company focusing exclusively on green events. Since 1999, Seven-Star has provided turn-key green event services for environmentally Responsible and socially Respectful (eR/sR) festivals, trade and consumer expositions, conferences and concerts. From the greening of the 2007 International Live Earth events, to the 2008 Democratic National Convention events, to producing the nation’s largest consumer Green Festivals, Seven-Star has defined itself as the company for eR/sR event production. Seven-Star is the first event company to have won the EPA’s Gold Waste Wise Award for Excellence in recognition for their proprietary system of event waste diversion, which has consistently achieved greater than 85%. www.sevenstarevents.com
Pasadena, CA — October 31, 201o LifeSource Water Systems will be exhibiting in Booth 212 at Green Festival in San Francisco on November 6 and 7, 2010. LifeSource factory representatives will be on hand to educate attendees about the benefits of clean water in their homes and businesses. They will also be speaking about the damage caused by water softeners and bottled water in addition to introducing the longest lasting eco-friendly water treatment systems on the planet, LifeSource Whole House Water Filters.
LifeSource has been an industry leader in green innovation since 1984. As more communities ban water softeners because of the harmful effects of their salt brine discharge and consumers become more aware of the excessive waste and cost of bottled water, the need for efficient economical whole-house water treatment grows. LifeSource eco-friendly water systems eliminate the need for water softeners, bottled water, monthly exchange tanks, reverse osmosis and point-of-use filters.
Manufactured in Pasadena, CA, LifeSource Systems feature a proprietary blend of coconut shell granular activated carbon. LifeSource Water Systems provide clean, safe water free of the drying and harmful effects of chlorine and chloramines without removing essential healthy minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
About LifeSource Water Systems, Inc.
LifeSource Water Systems, Inc. has been manufacturing and distributing water treatment products for residential, commercial and industrial applications since 1984. LifeSource Systems are tested and certified and have earned the Gold Seal issued by the Water Quality Association. LifeSource Water Systems have the longest service life in the industry.