Submitted by P.L.A.Y.
In today’s day and age, consumers have an unlimited number of options to purchase green and earth-friendly items. It’s clear that by purchasing natural, organic, and eco-friendly products we’re not only working to preserve our planet but also our personal health. With this movement, consumers are now able to choose eco-friendly pet products as well. From organic pet foods to pet beds made with recycled post-consumer waste, you can help your pets reduce their carbon paw-print. Here are a few great ways for your pup to go green.
- Natural shampoos and bath products. Grooming products made from all natural materials are great for the environment and for your pet! By removing dyes, synthetic fragrances, detergent and other chemicals, all-natural shampoos can help pets with irritated skin, allergies, and other health ailments. To top it off, chemicals are kept out of our waterways too.
- Organic food. Many people don’t realize what actually goes into their dog’s dinner – less expensive dog foods are packed with by-products, inexpensive fillers and preservatives. With the increased rate of pet diabetes and cancers, it’s especially important to pay attention to what your pup is eating. By choosing organic you are helping your pup; live longer, stay within a healthy weight, have fewer diseases, and have a healthier appearance (coat, skin, nails, etc.).
- Eco-friendly bedding. Many pet beds now feature all-natural and earth-friendly materials. At P.L.A.Y., we believe that pet beds can be comfy for pets, stylish for owners AND better for our planet. Our beds feature 100% natural cotton and eco-friendly PlanetFill® filling made from post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. In addition to being super-soft, the filling is hypoallergenic and can also help reduce skin irritation and allergies.
- Biodegradable waste bags. Dog waste is not only gross; it can be really damaging to the environment and can pose health risks to people and other animals. Part of being a responsible pet owner is cleaning up after them. Using plastic bags from grocery stores is a great way to recycle and reuse, but as we know – plastic isn’t so great. Every year, over 1 trillion plastic bags are thrown into our landfills, and based on scientific research, those bags can take up to 1000 years to break down. The better option? Biodegradable, compostable and even flushable waste bags! Compostable bags can dissolve in as little as 40 days and are made from corn based materials (a renewable and sustainable resource).
- Adopt don’t shop. It’s estimated that 5-7 million companion pets end up in a shelter every year. Many of those animals are euthanized due to overcrowding and lack of funding. By adopting a pet, you are saving two lives; the one who has found his forever family, and the one who is taking his place at the shelter. At P.L.A.Y. it’s important for us to help animals in need, so we’ve partnered with the Petfinder Foundation for our Warm Bellies Initiative. For every qualified pet bed purchase, we donate a mat to a homeless pet.
These are just a few ways to live a greener lifestyle with your pet. By choosing eco-friendly products, you (and your dog) can help minimize waste and reduce negative impact on our earth.