San Francisco – October 6, 2010 The Earth Island Institute will host a premier awards ceremony honoring bold young environmental leaders. The Brower Youth Awards will mark the institute’s 11th year of celebrating the tremendous accomplishments of youth eco-activists from all over North America.
The ceremony will take place Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at the Herbst Theater, located at 401 Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco. The opening reception will occur from 5:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. and will allow attendees to meet honorees before the show and mingle with the Earth Island community. The awards ceremony will occur from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Youth environmental leaders who will be honored in the ceremony include:
• Freya Chay, 15, of Alaska, who is energizing the Alaskan Legislature to support renewable energy
• Marcus Grignon, 21, of Wisconsin, for encouraging sustainability on the Menominee Reservation
• De’Anthony Jones, 18, of California, for creating a local environmentally focused youth culture
• Ana Elisa Pérez-Quintero, 20, of Puerto Rico, who started an organization dedicated to promoting environmental education
• Varsha Vijay, 22, of Iowa, for equipping Ecuadorians with biodiversity preservation technologies
• Misra Walker, 18, of New York, who lobbied to extend a bus line to the only riverside park in nearby neighborhoods
The Brower Youth Awards ceremony will be emceed by spoken word artist and performer, George Watsky, and will feature films by Rikshaw Films and exciting performances from artists such as DJ Hey Man.
Tickets for the opening reception are priced at $100 which includes organic fare, wine and beer, and preferred seating for the Awards Ceremony. Ticket proceeds benefit the Brower Youth Awards and year-round leadership programming of the New Leaders Initiative. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.eii.org/BYA10VIP.
The awards ceremony is open to the public at NO COST, but RSVPs are necessary. RSVP to attend the awards ceremony at www.broweryouthawards.org/ceremony. For group/school reservations (10+ attendees) please email firstname.lastname@example.org.