"I signed up to help out on Friday, hoping to get some inspiration toward my "green" business plan. While working in the Box Office, I had the chance to meet Denise Hamler and Kevin Danaher and tell them about my idea! To a greenie, it was equivalent to meeting a rock star! Denise was open and engaging and gave me an extra vote of confidence when she hugged me. I brought my mother and my daughter on Sunday; my daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself in the Green Kid's Zone. We gathered a wealth of information and made some exciting new contacts. I thank you all for putting on such a meaningful event. -- Ebba Lucander, Seattle volunteer"
Be a Green Festival™ Media Volunteer: Photo, Video, Blog, and Twitter!
Sign up today! If you would like to record the magic as a Media volunteer, please visit your city's registration website and sign up; we'll contact you to establish where your talent is most valuable.
As a member of our amazing volunteer team at Green Festival, a project of Green America and Global Exchange, you are an essential part of the nation's leading sustainability event, educating and activating people to make choices for a just and sustainable world.
The mission of the Volunteer Media Team is to document the spirit of Green Festival and share it with the world. We are collecting video, photos, blogs and tweets as a community-sharing project to spread the Green Festival message and experience. We will showcase the best media on the GreenFestivals.org website, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube and others, providing you with great exposure as a Green Media leader.
- Free admission to the festival for both days
- Free, limited edition, organic and sweatshop-free Green Festival™ T-shirt
- Your media and credits on the GreenFestivals.org website
- A free coat check, snacks and relaxation in the Volunteer Lounge
- Great experience for your resume
- 10% discount coupon for the Global Exchange Store, and optional free one-year Green America and/or Global Exchange membership (new members only)
- Morning check-in and 15 minute orientation on each festival day. Check with Volunteer Registration each morning to be directed to this meeting.
- Bring your own equipment: cameras, mobile devices and computer connection cords for easy on-site download. See Media Team descriptions below for more details.
- Ability to work self-directed and a general upbeat attitude. As a Media Volunteer, you wear a badge to identify you as a respresentative of Green Festival; as such, we ask that you are friendly and patient with all subjects, attendees, exhibitors and fellow volunteers.
Media Teams Descriptions:
Media Team Descriptions
Description: Roam around the Green Festival and take photos on a theme of your choice! Visit the Media/Partner/Speaker Lounge to upload your best shots to the Green Festival laptop. A volunteer will be on hand to help you upload and properly label your photographs to ensure that, whenever possible, you receive credit for your worl. Your goal is to collect 20-50 high quality final shots that capture the spirit of Green Festival.
- Choose a theme for your photographs, see below for the most popular and useful themes.
- Bring your own digital camera, spare batteries and necessary computer connection cord. Consider choosing equipment that is best for indoor light situations, though generally any digital camera will do the job. A tripod and flash are useful for avoiding blurry or grainy shots.
- Visit the Media/Parnter/Speaker Lounge to upload only your favorite and best quality 20-50 pictures. We recommend taking many photos and editing down to a ‘best-of’ set. - Upload the largest size/resolution you can, ideally 1024 pixels or larger.
Suggested Photo Themes
- Speaker Close-ups: Volunteers with telephoto lenses for their cameras are encouraged to capture close-up shots of speakers at the event. Though it is tempting with this theme to park yourself at the Main Stage, explore all the stages of the event, using the Programming Guide, and capture those who are well-known in their field of study, if not well known to the crowd.
- Exhibitor Booth Photos: Ideal to capture with the owners/employees and the logo of the booths in each shot.
- Candid Photos: Candid shots of attendees, overview shots of the crowd, candid photos of the Movement Room, Green Kids Zone, and anywhere else in the event that is visually inspiring to you.
- Crowd Shots: Capturing the bustling crowds gathered at the festival.
- Volunteers: Capture the tireless efforts of some of our 1,000 volunteers that make this event possible. Find the Back of House Green Team sorters whistling while they do their dirty work or capture the joy between a Kid's Zone volunteer and Green Festival's youngest attendees.
Description: Your goal is to create a short video that captures an aspect of the Green Festival that inspires you. Choose a theme (i.e. green buildings, kids, food, etc.) and film enough media to allow for easy editing into a final 3-5 minute piece.
Final Delivery: When completed, visit the Media/Partner/Speaker Lounge to upload your video to the Green Festival laptop. There will be a volunteer on hand to help you upload the content and properly label the video to ensure, whenever possible, you will receive credit for your work.
Suggested Video Themes
- Speaker Videos: Volunteers with tripods for their cameras can capture segments from speakers.
- Exhibitor Interview: Get interviews with business owners, asking how their Green Festival experience is going.
- Candid Interview: Candid interviews with attendees, overview shots of the crowd; anywhere else in the event that is visually inspiring to you.
- Greening: Capture the work of our Green Team, on the floor at Resource Recovery stations and at the Back of House while final sorting is done.
Description: Your goal is to make at least 25 meaningful tweets on site throughout the event weekend, using the hashtag #greenfest. We aggregate all Tweets with #greenfest hashtag live on the Green Festival website at http://twitter.com/greenfestival High quality tweets we will ‘retweet’ to our 3,000+ followers.
- Speaker quotes/summaries (i.e. “Amy Goodman speaking: What we need is a media of decent. #greenfest”)
- Happenings (i.e. “there’s a parade happening at the front of the festival! #greenfest” or “Amy Goodman’s signing books at the bookstore right now. #greenfest”)
- Exhibitor highlights (i.e. “you gotta try the vegan sausages at the food court #greenfest”)
- Your personal experience and reflections (i.e. “the compost sorters are so helpful #greenfest”)
- Tweetpics (i.e. “Check out this photo of the Green Festival crowds (link to a photo) #greenfest”)
Attend Green Festival as a Citizen Journalist! Take notes and photos of your experience, construct a story and write a high quality blog post when you get home. Exceptional blog posts will be promoted by Green Festival social media and website.
Requirements: You must have your own blog. If you are just getting started, we recommend Wordpress, Blogger, or Typepad.
- speaker review
- festival greening
- local focus (Green Festival subjects in context of the event city)
- exhibitor highlights
- overall experience and reflections
Examples blog posts:
Be a Green Festival Volunteer!
You’ll meet new people, have fun and support a great cause! Volunteers are a critical part of the Green Festival! The event would not be possible without you.
As a member of our amazing volunteer team at Green Festival, you are an essential part of the nation's leading sustainability event educating and activating people to make choices for a just and sustainable world. Sign up here to receive alerts as soon as volunteer registration opens in your preferred city
All are Welcome!
There is a job for every interest at the Green Festival. Click here to see a list of Volunteer Job Descriptions. Volunteers who are hearing impaired, deaf or handicapped are encouraged to volunteer. Please see our detailed list of job descriptions.
City Volunteer Information
- New York City Green Festival
- Chicago Green Festival
- Washington, DC Green Festival
- San Francisco Green Festival
- Los Angeles Green Festival
Volunteering with a Group
Volunteers Under Age 18
- All volunteers must be 10 years and older. Volunteers aged 10 to 15 years must volunteer with a parent, guardian or adult over the age of 18.
- All Volunteers under age 18, must have a volunteer waiver. Visit the volunteer registration website for your city to download the waiver.
Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one 4.5 - 5 hour shift and receive:
- Free access into the festival all weekend
- An exclusive organic cotton t-shirt
- Free/optional memberships to Global Exchange and Green America (the co-founders of Green Festival) - new members only (Check the membership boxes when you register)
- 10% discount at the Green America and Global Exchange stores
- Snacks, relaxation and a free coat check in the Volunteer Lounge
- An amazing networking opportunity and a fun, rewarding experience
Volunteer registration opens in each city approximately 3 months before the Green Festival. If you are a former volunteer or receive our Volunteer Alerts, you will receive an email when registration is open in your city. Not yet on our list? Sign up for the Volunteer Alert Here!